Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hawks are in overtime.

Broken heat, broken cable, what the fuck is wrong with this house?, Sarah thought.
I wish those dogs next door would shut up. Inconsiderate neighbors.

All of her roommates went home for the weekend.

Why am I feeling so lonely? I've never gotten lonely before.
I wish people would just come over.
This has been the weekend from hell.

She wandered into rooms aimlessly, looking at pictures on the walls and desks, wondering what her roommates were up to.
I hope they're having a better weekend than me.

Maybe I should just drink.
Maybe I should just take a nap.
Why the fuck am I craving company right now?

For some reason the thought of half of her roommates returning annoyed her. She didn't want to see half of them. Leaving her with no heat or cable. She only cared to see the one that cared about her not having any heat or cable. But Sarah didn't want to bother her anymore than she already had.

Maybe I should just workout.

She threw on some spandex and laced up her shoes. She grabbed her ID and some cash and walked out the door. As she was locking the house up, a cool breeze struck her face.

Nice, she thought. I won't get too warm.

She took off running down the sidewalk, pounding her feet into the ground, propelling herself faster and faster. It was like she was punishing the sidewalk for her roommates leaving. She loved the grip on the groud her shoes had. Running after it rains is always the best.

After about a half hour she came across a small Italian shop she had never noticed before. She decided to go in and check it out.

As she browsed, a handsome man with dark features caught her eye. Their eyes met, he smiled, and Sarah looked down hastily, then blushed, and smiled.
She looked up again and he had turned around to talk to someone else. That was when she spied the Antonio's shirt he was wearing.

Ahh, he works here. Interesting.

She grabbed a water and headed toward the checkout, beating herself up for not being more suave.
Her water was being rung up and she grabbed the cash she carried in her sports bra. She felt bad it was a little sweaty. When she looked up to hand the cashier the money, she was shocked to see the dark featured man standing in front of her.

"Hi, I'm Gino."

Did she detect a hint of an accent?

"Hi...Sarah" she said as she handed him the sweaty money.

Sweaty money, sweaty money! Why did he have to see her like this? Red faced, wind blown hair, and giving him sweaty money.

"You sure know how to attract men, Sarah." He joked as he held up a soggy bill.

"I.. uhh.." speak Sarah, speak! "I'm sorry, I went for a run, and saw this shop and decided to check you out. Check IT out." She went red faced again. "I know, I'm a mess right now" she said with a laugh.

He laughed, and handed her the receipt. "Well, Sarah, I hope to run into you again soon." he said, adding a dazzling smile.

She went red again. "Yes, you too.." and bolted for the door, leaving the bottle of water on the checkout counter.

As soon as she was out of eyesight she burst into laughter.

That couldn't have gone worse. I'm a mess. I wish someone was home to tell that story to.

She heard thunder and quickened her pace. It was then she realized she left the water at the store, which made her burst into laughter again.

It started to sprinkle, and she again felt the love for the grip her shoes had on the ground.

Tomorrow, she thought. I'll go back tomorrow.

No comments: